Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Downhill skiing in Europe

Well I know its a little bit late but on News Year Day after spending the previous evening 'smashing the cans' with friends we headed up to the mountains that were only about 20 mins away from where we were staying.
We hired the essentials (boots and skis) and borrowed some other stuff from friends. This was Michaela and my first time skiing together so it was going to be interesting. We jammed our way into a gondola and headed up the mountain. We realised VERY VERY quickly that perhaps buying goggles would have been a good investment. I find there is nothing better then tearing down a hill at some break neck speed and then going directly under a snow gun (fake snow maker) with no goggles on, well i suppose it is appropriate considering my middle name is 'DANGER'.


Anyway we skied for the afternoon as everyone was a little hungover in the AM and had a great time although I was seriously surprised to see Michaela tear off down the hill in front of me. So much for her "I am 'ok' I guess". 'Ok' my arse, she was bloody good and bloody fast, where i am FAST but technically retarded which means on anything but perfectly groomed runs I look gangly, uncoordinated and out of control.
It was a very pleasant day but we had a weird incident in the bistro when we were getting some food. It appeared the bistro staff hadn't stopped drinking after new years and were all SMASHED. They were dropping uncooked chips onto the filthy floor then picking them up and putting them back into the deep fryer. Michaela said they were so drunk she couldn't understand them but i didn't pick up on that as it all sounded Greek to me :D


Anyway hopefully we can go again soon as we both had a lot of fun

No comments: