Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A change of perspectives and attitude

When I was younger, single and 6ft tall 'n' bullet proof I used to quite enjoy adrenalin scenarios but its amazing how perspectives and attitudes can change after a significant event.

The significant moment responsible for the change was when my lovely wife told me we were expecting our first child (still not sure how it happened hahahaha). Well to say a lot of things changed would be an understatement and my reaction to certain scenarios has changed with this news.

For instance the other night we went to dinner and caught a movie but on the way home 2 spaced out kids (maybe 18 years old) thought it would be a good idea to prepare their heroin fix on the crowded metro. SERIOUSLY WTF!!!!! Anyway the point is my normal reaction would have been to give them a mouth full of expletives. I was thinking something like "GET THE F*** OFF THIS TRAIN". But instead I grabbed my pregnant wife and moved her further up the carriage away from these 2 idiots. I wasn't the only person to see the syringe; spoon and cigarette lighter come out either as there was a small exodus towards the front.

The other massive area of change is PEDESTRIAN CROSSINGS! I used to love to just walk out and watch the approaching car slam on its brakes when the driver finally realised there was a pedestrian there always thinking I’d be fast enough to avoid the car. My attitude has changed there as well and I now wait either for no cars or for the approaching car to see me and stop. The fact that pedestrian crossing are nearly impossible to see in this country and that a hard braking car and ICE is not a recipe for rapid deceleration MAY have helped but I am blaming it on the expected little one.

No pictures this time as I didn't think the heroin junkies would like some stranger filming there illegal activity (even more evidence of my changing attitude :D)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Uh say what? Baby Gatesy? WHEN?? Congratulations!

Gatesy said...

oops, email sent